A Sudanese delegation is expected to visit the United States for talks aimed at getting Sudan removed from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism.
Sudan's army ruler General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, in his first interview on state television since taking power, said the delegation could travel as soon as this week or next week for discussions.
The U.S. government added Sudan to its terrorism list in 1993 over allegations that then-President Omar al-Bashir's government was supporting terrorism. Bashir was ousted earlier this month by the military after three decades in power.
In 2017, the United States lifted its 20-year-old trade embargo imposed on Sudan, but it left Sudan on its state sponsors of terrorism list along with Iran, Syria and North Korea.
Since Bashir's removal, U.S. officials have praised the country's new military leader for freeing political prisoners. On Thursday, State Department officials announced it would send an envoy to Khartoum to encourage a transition to democracy.
State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said the U.S. will be there to 'calibrate our policies based on our assessment of events' but added that Sudans designation as a state sponsor of terrorism remains in effect, and Phase II discussions are suspended.
'The will of the Sudanese people is clear: it is time to move toward a transitional government that is inclusive and respectful of human rights and the rule of law,' she said.
Burhan took the leadership position after his predecessor General Awad Ibn Ouf resigned less than 24 hours after becoming military council chief.